Southern in Love
Bless your heart
Thursday, June 25, 2015
For my 27th birthday, I wanted to do a refresh of my 101 in 1,001 list even though the timeline for that one won't be completed until September. I've reevaluated priorities and I wanted to create a list that reflects where I am right now. I think that these are all realistic and obtainable, but also a great list of things that will keep me accountable.
Start a bible study with a small group from our Missional Community (June 2015!)
2. Train a lovable and obedient puppy (can't wait for Finley Hunt to join our family this fall!)
3. Pay off Volvo
4. Buy Brandon a new car
5. Save for a house of our own
6. Continue to work towards paying off Brandon's student loans
7. Stick to the envelope system to keep our spending in check
8. Continue to workout 3-4 times a week
9. Follow the 80/20 Eating Principle
10. Find and purchase a dining room table and chairs
11. Create a warm/welcoming entrance to our current home
12. Make purposeful purchases on quality items that will last
13. Celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary.
14. ...and our 4th!
15. ...and our 5th!
16. Increase our giving to church every year
17. Have a baby (!)
18. Host a themed party -- planning on the 2016 Summer Olympics
19. Support a friend in something they're doing
20. Have the club chairs recovered
21. Adopt a family for Christmas in 2015
22. ...and in 2016
23. ...and in 2017
24. Run in Ella's Race
25. Go to Scotland with Brandon
26. Wake up earlier. Establish a morning routine that works for me
27. Read for 30 minutes every night for one month
28. Spend more time in purposeful prayer with Brandon
29. Invest in a quality wedding album (leaning towards the cream photo album from Milk Books)
30. Have a "date night" with Brandon once a week -- even if it's grabbing coffee before work
31. Go on a weekend trip with friends (at least once a year)
32. Read 12 books a year (At least one from each of these categories: Spirituality, Finances, Career, Marriage + Family, Social, Personal + Intellectual Development, Health, Rest/Enjoyment)
33. Go to Kentucky and tour some of Brandon's favorite bourbon distilleries
34. Get rid of the bamboo forest in our current backyard
35. Make our screened in porch a comfortable place to gather
36. Learn to French braid
37. Have our Christmas stockings my grandmother needlepointed finished
38. Make a will
39. Send my mom flowers out of the blue
40. Send my mama flowers out of the blue
41. Go on another river tubing adventure with friends
42. Plant a vegetable and herb garden
43. Cultivate a collection of old family photos
44. Host a "friendsgiving"
45. Write out all of our favorite family recipes
46. Read every Jane Austen novel
47. Kayak in the Intracoastal
48. Read 5 auto/biographies
49. Help host a baby or bridal shower
50. Visit a friend in another state
51. Go berry picking (strawberries, blueberries or raspberries -- I'm not picky!)
52. Get a timeless and well made rolling suitcase
53. Take a Photoshop class
54. Learn how to make my mama's chicken pie and biscuits
55. Travel to 5 new cities
56. Watch an outdoor movie at the NC Museum of Art
57. Go antiquing in Cooperstown
58. Have a spa day with mom
59. Learn how to give my hair soft waves
60. Send out Christmas cards with a modern newsletter
Wednesday, June 24, 2015
Happy birthday to this cutie!
There's no one else I'd rather watch a million repeat episodes of Duck Dynasty and Fixer Upper with. You are the best leader of our family and more than I could ever hope for. You are an incredible example of Christ in this world and I love journeying beside you and watching your faith in Him grow. Celebrating the wonderful and patient person you are is a joy. I hope your last year in your 20s is your favorite yet!
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
We had a great weekend with friends that started with Mumford on Thursday night! It was definitely meant to be when we found out that Mumford was coming to Raleigh 3 days after we had talked with friends about how we would travel to a surrounding state to see them play.
Mumford was amazing live and we were all wishing we could go hear them play again the next night. Definitely a concert to remember!
Saturday some of the guys played in the 6th Annual Capital Cornhole Classic benefiting Backpack Buddies. Brandon and Doug played together and out of 64 teams, they made it to the "Sweet 16!" I was very impressed with SmashbrownMC (and their coordinating outfits).
Thursday, June 11, 2015
We've turned a bit of our focus from the interior of our house to the exterior. Most of the projects we would like to tackle inside (i.e. recovering/new furniture) are on hold until we figure out what kind of a chewer our puppy will be. Last weekend we began to tackle part of the bamboo forest in our backyard. We're about 1/3 of the way there with chopping it down but then the battle for killing the ridiculous root systems begins.
I finally ordered a boxwood wreath for our front door. With the door being navy, the wreath blends in more than I'd like from the street. Our front door has a cool "design" and I think a different color would help showcase that. I also want to switch out the mailbox slot for an antique brass one.
I mocked up quite a few different color options for Brandon and mom to look at. The main things I took into consideration when narrowing things down was whether or not it would look good with our North Carolina flag or an American flag and if it would clash with Christmas colors/decorations. We immediately nixed the greens and coral/pink tones.
Red // Deep Rose // Chili Pepper // Amazon Moss // Kelly Green // St. Lucia Teal // Birds of Paradise // Wild Flower // Wythe Blue
We narrowed it down to the Red and Wyhte Blue. After scrolling through Pinterest, talking things over with mom, and seeing the below picture; we settled on the Wythe Blue. Now to just find a free day that's not 90° to paint it! I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
With June comes both of our birthdays and our anniversary. I thought it would be fun to put together a little birthday wishlist for both Brandon and me. Shopping for Brandon is just as much fun -- if not more so, than shopping for myself. So it was particularly fun to put his board together. We've talked about all of these things, so they are most definitely Brandon-approved!
Lou & Grey Beach Cabana Stripe Coverup // 14K Gold Arrow Earrings // Tink + Tiger Amelia Shirt and Tiger Short in Baby Blue Chalk Stripe // Splendid Mason Strap Sandal in Camel // J.Crew Factory Cutoff Denim Shorts // J.Crew Silk Carrie Cami
Monday, June 1, 2015
I can't believe it's been a month and a half since I last blogged. It certainly hasn't been for the lack of things going on. Life has been so good lately. I'm feeling so happy and content with where we are right now.
We had lots of celebrating in May. It started with celebrating Alyssa & James' marriage at Fearrington Village. The wedding was so beautiful and I love the succulent favors and dog biscuits that everyone got. We also got to celebrate another upcoming marraige with Kiley & Andrew's engagement party. We were happy the rain held off and they had a beautiful outdoor party at Andrew's childhood home. Brandon and I can't wait for their wedding this September!
We also said goodbye for now to Bert, Lara and their son, Rein. Bert has been given the wonderful opportunity to lead his own church in Woodlands, TX, The Loft. I love how one of our friends put it -- God isn't calling them away from us, but He's calling them to something. I know that He has big things in store for Bert and Lara and the Woodlands are so blessed to have them!
Our first Bull's game of the season with Brandon's law firm
Brandon's dad also graduated with his second degree from Richmond Community College. I'm so proud of him and the example he has set. He's wearing a red, white and blue cord to signify his service to our country. He is such a great father to Brandon and his sister and a great grandfather to our nephew. We're looking forward to seeing all the places this new degree will take him!
We were finally able to get together with our wonderful friends, Justin and Grace and our favorite two year old, Jonathan. That boy is so full of joy and always makes our days happier. We hiked and picnicked around Ayr Mount and we're already thinking about what fun things we can do next.
Continuing with our annual tradition, we made strawberry jam over Memorial day weekend. This is the 4th year we've made it now and we're getting braver and wanting to branch out to other things!
We rounded out a busy and wonderful month with a perfect long weekend at Ocean Isle with mom, Dale and Ry. We are so fortunate that mom and Dale just went in on a beach house with his cousin. OIB is a wonderful beach that's not too crowded but still has amazing restaurants and yummy ice cream. I don't have any pictures from the weekend because I was happily unplugged. I'm looking forward to making lots more memories down there -- starting with celebrating our anniversary at the end of this month!
June To Dos:
-Plant our herb and vegetable garden (we've been a liiiiitle busy so we're late on this)
-Make blueberry jam, bread and butter pickles and salsa
-More Durham Bulls games
-Mumford & Sons concert
-Hikes at Umstead and The Riverwalk in Hillsborough
-Celebrate our birthdays
-Celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary (at the beach!)!
-Hopefully hear that Finley Hunt is well on his way to our family