Enjoying the Engagement

10:29 AM

So I'm going to take a little time to impart some of the engagement knowledge that I've learned over the past few months. I've been hearing way too many crazy stories lately...so I have to say my peace.

1- Do not plan your wedding before you are engaged
    This is an amazing time in your life. You have found the person who you're going to spend the rest of your life with, enjoy it! Give your boyfriend/girlfriend your attention, not the imaginary wedding you're planning in your head. There will be plenty of time once you are actually engaged to plan your wedding. We've all been guilty of looking at pictures, making inspiration boards and dreaming. And dream away... But don't, I repeat, do not, make any definite plans before you are engaged. This can be anything from actually having the ring on your finger to an agreement between the two of you. For me, I preferred actually getting the ring. Marrying Brandon and a beautiful, sparkly ring to look at? Win! Honestly, people will think you're crazy if you plan a wedding before you're engaged. This girl on The Knot just posted about how she's 3/4 of the way through planning her wedding and just got engaged. Cart meet horse


2- Do not rush through this process
    Brandon and I have been slowly making decisions and moving forward in the planning process because it's more enjoyable. Could I plan this wedding in 2 months flat? You bet your bottom dollar I could. The point is, we're not. I've taken my time to find the dress, we made sure we found our dream photographer and we still have millions of tiny little details to figure out...but we also have over 9 months to get them all figured out. And we will. You need to still have other interests and conversations outside of your wedding. No one wants to hang out with someone who only cares about their wedding and planning too quickly will cause this to happen. It also will make you burnt out and tired of the wedding before it even gets here!


3- Let your groom make decisions too
    Trust me, I know that every bride has thought about their wedding much more than their groom, but the guys have thought about it too. They took the time to decide on the perfect proposal and pick out your perfect ring. They want to marry you, so why wouldn't they want to help; even if it's just a little, in making some of those decisions? It will make you much closer as a couple if you can learn to compromise in these types of situations before you're married.


And just remember...at the end of the day, it's about marrying your best friend. After the wedding's over, it's just going to be the two of you. So enjoy it and appreciate this time for what it is; a ceremony and celebration to officially start the rest of your lives together.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Follow Us