Weekend Fun

9:48 AM

We had a really wonderful weekend with some of our dearest friends.
On Saturday, we had our official tailgate practice to get ready for the season...which is less than 2 weeks away! Tailgate practice is pretty much your typical cookout, but we set up our tailgate tent and while the boys' played corn hole, beer pong and flip cup, the girls sat around talking. 

I made my (almost famous) pasta salad, red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing and lemon drop jello shot slices. I stole the lemon recipe from Meredith and they were a huge hit! I had some leftover after tailgating, so I brought them over to our friend, Mark's house that night for his housewarming party. So many people asked me how I made them that I thought it would be easiest to just post it on here.

Lemon Drop Jello Shots
Yield: 48 slices
-8 large lemons
-2 packages lemon Jello (3 oz each)
-1 cup boiling water
-1 cup citrus vodka
-1/2 lemon juice (from lemons)
-1/2 cup ice cold water
-1/2 cup sugar for dipping


Cut the lemons in half lengthwise.

Use a spoon to scoop out all of the insides and pulp. You can use a paring knife to help separate the inside, but be sure not to cut through the lemon peel (this really helped me). Place all the insides into a separate bowl to be squeezed/strained.


Once all the halves are scooped out, set them face up on a muffin tin. This helps them to stay upright when you pour the Jello mixture in. Next you will strain out 1/2 cup of the lemon juice. The easiest way to do this is to place the strainer on top of a liquid measuring cup.


In a large bowl, combine 2 boxes of Jello and 1 cup of boiling water. I threw away the leftover lemon so I would only dirty one bowl. Stir until the Jello is completely dissolved. Then add 1 cup of vodka, 1/2 cup of lemon and and 1/2 ice cold water. We used good vodka because there's nothing worse than bad vodka.

Once the mixture is completed, pour the mixture into the lemon halves to the rim.

Taken from Savory Recipes - I forgot to take a picture of this step
Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. It takes a lot longer for the Jello to set since it contains alcohol. Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of the rest of the steps because we were running late and I had to finish them at Tommy and Katie's. 

After the have set, take them out of the fridge and cut each half into thirds. Put the granulated sugar on a plate in order to coat each side. I would suggest serving these sooner rather than later so that they don't melt. If your making them for something like a tailgate where you'll be outside, I highly recommend making them the night before so they have even longer to set.

Also taken from Savory Recipes

You can also make these using oranges, limes or or with any other fruit with a rind. I've even seen some people use watermelons, but that seems a bit tricky to me! Of course you'd just have to substitute the flavor of Jello and vodka to coordinate with your fruit of choice

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Follow Us