Chili Recipe

11:01 AM

Brandon and I both really enjoy having a bowl of chili for dinner. It's kind of ironic because I'm definitely not the biggest meat person. I was even a vegetarian for about a year in college (until mom's stressing that I wasn't getting enough protein finally wore me down).

We've had chili quite a few times this winter and I've made a different recipe every time. I'm ashamed to say that my chili making used to consist of using the McCormick chili packet. So embarrassing. Last night I kind of winged it based on some of the recipes I've tried and I'm thrilled with how it turned out.

Brandon even deemed it the best chili he's ever had. I definitely patted myself on the back after that and figured it was worth sharing with y'all.


Serves 4 (or 3 if you have a very hungry husband)
1 lb. of ground beef or turkey (I get the 90% lean from the meat counter at Harris Teeter)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
Several cloves of garlic, chopped
1 T olive oil
2 1/2 T white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground oregano
1/4 tsp ground basil
1 1/2 T fajita seasoning (ours is from Penzey's)
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce
1 15 oz can kidney beans

Cheddar cheese and sour cream for topping

-Saute the chopped green pepper, onion, and garlic in olive oil.
-Once soft, add ground beef and brown.
-Combine spices in a separate bowl and add to the ground beef before it's completely browned.
-Add white wine vinegar.
-Add tomato sauce and let cook down for 6 minutes.
-Add kidney beans.
-Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
-Serve immediately.


Our new pillows should be here today, so I'll post a review after we've slept on them for a few nights!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing, I tried out my first chili recipe this morning but have no idea what to expect tonight. I'm already looking forward to trying out this one. All the spices sound perfect (and I'm obsessed with garlic so anything with more than 2 cloves is right up my alley!)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Follow Us