Recipes We're Loving

9:49 AM

As a quick update, Brandon and I went ahead and ordered the Pacific Coast luxury down pillows last night. I'll keep y'all updated on how we like them.

Since it's Friday and all I can think about right now is food, I figured I'd share with y'all a couple recipes that we're loving right now.

Brussel Sprouts with craisins, pecans, and feta
Just like the salad recipe I posted a while back, I tailored this recipe to our own tastes.


Serves 3 or 4
1 pound brussels sprouts, de-stemed and quartered
2/3 cup fresh craisins
2/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup pecans
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Salt & pepper

-Toss the brussels sprouts in salt and pepper.
-Heat a skillet over medium heat and drizzle with olive oil and add brussels.
-Cook for 8-10 minutes or until brussels have gotten semi-soft and browned a little.
-Toss with maple syrup and balsamic vinegar over heat.
-Remove from heat and toss with craisins, feta, and pecans.
-Serve immediately.


Whenever I'm in the mood to bake something, I always turn to Deb at Smitten Kitchen. Girl knows what she's doing. I've never made one of her recipes and it not turn out. She's so great with photos and her description that you know if you're doing it right every step of the way.

She has numerous brownie recipes, but I'm happy that the first one I came across was this one. If they're good enough to be Deb's favorite brownies, well then they're good enough to be mine too. 


Makes 1 8x 8 pan of brownies

3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped (we used Baker's)
1 stick unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or 1/4 teaspoon table salt (we did 1/2 teaspoon diamond kosher salt)
2/3 cup all purpose flour

-Preheat oven to 350°F.
-Grease your pan with butter (here Deb calls to line the pan with parchment paper and then butter the paper. We ran out of parchment papers, so we skipped this step and everything worked out).
-In a medium bowl over gently simmering water, melt butter and chocolate until only a couple of unmelted bits remain.
-Off the heat, stir until smooth and fully melted. 
-Whisk the sugar and then the eggs, one at a time, into the chocolate.
-Then add vanilla and salt.
-Stir in flour with a spoon or flexible spatula and scrape batter into your prepared pan.
-Bake for 25 to 30 minutes (ours took 30, but it just depends on your oven), until a toothpick comes out clean.
-Let cool (or as much as you can) before serving. 
-You can then top them with some powdered sugar if you want.

My favorite brownie cutting trick that I got from my mom is to cute them with a plastic knife. I'm not sure how, but it cuts them perfectly.


This is now my go-to brownie recipe. Besides for melting the chocolate, there aren't any more steps than making box brownies and I think they're so much better. The little bit of salt and the unsweetened chocolate really make these great.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have never tried brussel sprouts (that I remember) but I have always held this idea in my head that I hate the. However, your photo/recipe looks good enough to make me want to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think that too! I had never tried them until my cousin made them this past Christmas and now I really like them. This recipe might be a great first attempt at them because there's other stuff mixed in with them.

      Delete

Instagram

Follow Us