Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms

9:49 AM

This week's dinners so far have been all over the place and nothing that I planned for, but still using the ingredients we have in our fridge. We had some leftover mushrooms and spinach that I didn't want to go to waste, so I made some creamed spinach with mushrooms to go with our BALTs (bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato) last night. I couldn't find a recipe I liked that wasn't either full of fat or called for frozen spinach, so I created my own.

It turned out really well and Brandon even requested to have it again. Pretty good for a week night throw-together side dish!


Ingredients:
-6 oz. bag of fresh baby spinach
-3 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons flour
-1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
-1 clove minced garlic
-Salt
-Pepper
-Pinch of nutmeg

Directions:
-Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in saute pan and add garlic
-Add 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk together
-Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until light brown and slightly thick
-Pour in milk and whisk constantly for another 3-4 minutes (while spinach is cooking)
-Season the cream mixture with salt, pepper, and nutmeg
-Incorporate spinach and mushrooms until combined

Meanwhile:
-Place mushroom in pan with water, cover and cook on medium until mushrooms are done
-Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan
-Add spinach and cook until wilted (about 3 minutest)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Follow Us