Anniversary Trip | Charleston | Day 3

8:00 AM

After checking out of our hotel, we went to the Aiken-Rhett House. We stayed at the Francis Marion (the same place we stayed after our wedding). It's a nice hotel in a very good location, but it's definitely starting to show it's age. The door handle fell off of the bathroom door and the knob on the shower was broker. Other than that, I was happy with our stay there. For the location and rate, you really can't beat it.

The Aiken-Rhett House was my favorite tour we did. Instead of a guided tour, they had a recorded tour that you listened to as you walked through the grounds and the house. It allowed you to really grasp a lot of the information and enjoy the rooms at your own pace. 

It was hard to get a good picture of the house. The original house was added on to over many years. There was also a large back yard where the carriage house and slave's quarters were located. 
Aiken-Rhett House

Back of the House - photo via

After our tour we had lunch at Poogan's Porch. The first time we went to Poogan's (in 2010), it was amazing. I've been twice since then, and I'm not as impressed with it as I originally was. Lunch was still good, but I think I would have rather gone back to Husk and had a burger from their bar.

My husband is the best sport ever and after lunch (even though it was a million degrees), we walked along the water. We eventually sat down in Battery Park under some shady trees and relaxed for an hour. That was one of my favorite parts of the entire weekend. It was so relaxing and peaceful. The shade and the breeze coming off the water made it so delightful.
Fort Sumter (Brandon and I went out their on our first trip to Charleston together)

Another pretty house along the Battery with a double piazza

Our view as we relaxed in the park

We wanted to squeeze in one last good meal in Charleston, so we ended up not leaving until after dinner. We both really wanted to eat at The Ordinary and since they are only open at dinner, we made an early reservation there. We would both definitely eat here again (I would actually eat there right now if it wasn't 4 hours away). I would have loved to have gone on a different night when we still had our hotel room to freshen up in before dinner, but it worked out fine. 

We ordered a dozen oysters and they were the best I've ever had. We got a few more small plates that were just as good and then shared the daily special - a lobster roll and frites. We ordered ours "Connecticut style" which serves the lobster warm and is tossed in butter and lemon juice. It was so good and hit the spot! 
Happy husband!

The restaurant itself had my favorite decor of all the restaurants we ate at. To see more of the interior of this awesome restaurant, visit their gallery HERE. We loved the blue Duralex glasses so much that we ordered a set for ourselves. (If you love them too, get them now! They are on SUPER sale HERE.) These are actually the same brand/style as our everyday glasses, just in between the two sizes we currently have and love.

After dinner we headed back to Raleigh. It was such a wonderful trip and I will treasure that time away with no work or other distractions. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. you have convinced me to take a trip here in the fall. those oysters look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic trip! I can't wait to go to Charleston myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Follow Us