Blueberry Syrup Recipe

8:00 AM


Years ago (probably at least 15), we had dinner at my Aunt Karen and Uncle David's house and she made a blueberry syrup with dessert. I have no idea how or why I remember this one small detail. It might be because I didn't realize how much I loved blueberries at that point and thought it was delicious. I've thought about the recipe for years and decided that this weekend would be the perfect time to make it. Dale wanted to make vanilla ice cream and while I like it plain, it's so much better when it's underneath something equally as yummy. I looked up different recipes and couldn't find one I liked, so I improvised and luckily it turned out really well!

Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
Squeeze of lemon juice 

1.  Place water and blueberries in a pot over medium heat. Make sure stems have been removed from  blueberries.
2.  Using a masher (you can use whatever you have, we ended up using the flat end of a meat cleaver), mash the 
     berries. You can completely squash them, but I liked having a few blueberries left that weren't completely mashed
3.  Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a boil while you're stirring your mixture.
4.  Once the mixture is boiling, add lemon zest and sugar. 
5.  Return to a boil and let simmer for 6-7 minutes until thickened slightly. 
6.  As a squeeze on lemon juice (no more than a tablespoon) into the mixture and cook for an additional 2 minutes. 
7. Serve warm and enjoy!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Follow Us